Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

Hi, I hurt my shoulder in an industrial accident in Arizona

Hi, I hurt my shoulder in an industrial accident in Arizona five years ago. I had surgery and rehab through workman's comp, and later did another stint of rehab in early '06. The last communication that I received from the workman's comp insurance carrier was a letter stating that they considered me healed, and my case was closed. To this day, I still have problems with my shoulder, so much so that I would like to see a doctor and perhaps have another surgery. However, I don't know how to go about re-opening the workman's comp case. I no longer work for the company I was working for at the time of the accident, and I've heard that they've since changed insurance carriers. What can I do?

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer

Thank you for question,

The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. JustAnswer's policy and State Bar restrictions prohibit any attorney-client relationship, giving legal advice and client representation though this forum.

ANSWER

It does not matter that you no longer work for the same employer, or that the insurance carrier was changed for their workman's compensation insurance.

You would be contacting the same workman's compensation carrier that handled your case 5 years ago. This may pose some difficulty for you since so many years have elapsed, they found you "healed" and had your case "closed", therefore, I strongly suggest that you retain an experienced Workman's Compensation Attorney to handle the case.

________________________________________________

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

_________________________________________________

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do workman's comp lawyers work, pay-wise? Would that be something that comes out of my pocket? And I've had some people mention to me that Arizona may have a statute of limitations on workman's comp cases. Is this true?

Workman's Compensation Attorneys work on a contingency fee basis which means you pay nothing out of pocket and do not incur legal fees. The Attorney will be paid when he succeeds in reopening your case and reviving your claim.

An experienced Attorney can revive your claim, even if it was closed and even if they, or their IME (Independent Medical Examination) showed that you were "healed"

Here is the official website of the Arizona State Bar Association, Lawyer Referral Service:

http://www.azbar.org/LegalResources/findlawyer.cfm

BONUS is always appreciated

That is the only way I get paid

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR