Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

IF A PERSON IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CIVIL LAWSUIT & THEN LEAVES

Customer Question

IF A PERSON IS IN THE MIDDLE OF A CIVIL LAWSUIT & THEN LEAVES THE STATE, IS HE CONSIDERED JUDGEMENT-PROOF? WITH THE DEFENDANT NO LONGER IN THE STATE, CAN THE PLAINTIFFS LEGALLY CONTINUE THE LAWSUIT, GET A LEGAL JUDGEMENT AGAINST HIM & GO AFTER HIS WIFE TO SATISFY THE JUDGEMENT (SHE ISN'T NAMED IN THE ORIGINAL LAWSUIT), OR SHOULD THE LAWSUIT BE DROPPED IMMEDIATELY AFTER LEARNING THE DEFENDANT HAS LEFT THE STATE?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 years ago.
The Defendant leaving the state has no effect on the lawsuit. The Plaintiff can still pursue the lawsuit and all lawful collection attempts if a judgment is obtained. There isn't enough information given to determine whether pursuit of the wife was valid, but if they were pursuing assets of the marriage it was probably valid. However, any lawsuit she might have had t would have to be filed within two years.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.