Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

my father was very sick for years and could not pay his bills

my father was very sick for years and could not pay his bills so he had put my sister on his bank account so she could pay the bills for him. he died and my sister took the death sertificate to the bank and put the remaining money about 10 thousand dollars into her name. she says it's her money legaly. can she do that. whats the law on this case. [email protected]
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Good evening. If the account was renamed as joint owners of the account, when your father died, the money automatically became hers. As such, she was entitled to the money. Joint accounts such as that pass on survivorship and do not pass through the deceased's will.

hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.