Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I had a friend move in but we made an agreement that she was

I had a friend move in but we made an agreement that she was to pay rent and help me with a portion of the utilities. Also because I charged little rent she was to help me around the house and help care for my children. She moved in June and hasn't paid me anything and hasn't helped out as we agreed. She moved out without any warning two weeks ago and just left her belongings in the room she rented.

My question is what can I do with her stuff? Can I throw it out? I've notified her to remove her belongings but she hasn't stopped by. When I spoke to her last she also mentioned that she lost the keys to the house. Can I charge her to rekey the doors to the home?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 years ago.

I had a friend move in but we made an agreement that she was to pay rent and help me with a portion of the utilities. Also because I charged little rent she was to help me around the house and help care for my children. She moved in June and hasn't paid me anything and hasn't helped out as we agreed. She moved out without any warning two weeks ago and just left her belongings in the room she rented. My question is what can I do with her stuff? Can I throw it out? I've notified her to remove her belongings but she hasn't stopped by.

Response 1: Give her notice that she needs to come and pick up her stuff. She has 15 days from the date you give her the notice before you can do anything to the property. If the property has some value, you can sell it by advertising it in a local newspaper for three consecutive days. You can also donate the property to charity. However, if you sell the property, you can deduct the amount that she owes you from the sale proceeds, the rest must be put in a separate bank account for the tenant for 30 days and if the tenant does not claim the money within that time, it would be yours. You must make a reasonable effort to notify the tenant by mail to come and get her stuff. See HRS 521-56

When I spoke to her last she also mentioned that she lost the keys to the house. Can I charge her to rekey the doors to the home?

Response 2: Yes, you can.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.