Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

my son has reckless driving speeding ticket 58/25 in town.

my son has reckless driving speeding ticket 58/25 in town. He had a no fault accident in January with no points. He will be 18 in Feb. We do not have attorney. Court date is tomorrow.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is your question?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can he avoid paying large fines or loose license?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is your answer. How can he avoid paying high fines or loose his license.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have an answer for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can he avoid high fines or loose a licenses. Do you have answer for me?

Dear JACUSTOMER - It will be difficult to avoid either. This is a serious charge since it is more than double the speed limit. I am assuming, since he is under 18 he will be in the juvenile division which will generally suspend a license for virtually any offense. The best thing he can do is to plead not guilty and see if he can get the charge reduced to a simple speeding violation.

If he pleads guilty he will almost certainly lose his license for 6 months to a year. While the fine will be high the biggest problem will likely be a big increase in insurance rates if the reckless operation goes on his record versus a speeding ticket. Most courts will allow for payment arrangements for fines so that can be handled easier than a big bump in the insurance premium.

If he pleads not guilty he will have an opportunity to talk to the prosecutor to see if the charge can be reduced. He entitled o an attorney but I doubt that the court will appoint one for a traffic violation. If you can afford an attorney and he pleads not guilty you may want to obtain an attorney to try to negotiate a plea agreement.

Sorry but it takes time to type the answer!

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations