Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Hello, I live in Liverpool, NY and I rent an apartment. It

Customer Question

I live in Liverpool, NY and I rent an apartment. It is a duplex - I live on the first floor with my family and another person lives on the second floor. I have two major problems with my landlord. First is the basement - the landlord currently stores a majority of his belongings in the basement. There is also a television, computer, fish tank, fans and two large dehumidifiers that he runs using our electricity. I pay the bill for the electric as the circuits are all read on the "1st floor" meter. In our lease, there is verbage stating the he has access to the basement but there is no mention of the fact that he running large appliances all day.

Second, we have been experience bug bites throughout the apartment and we recently attributed it to a flea infestation. I have pictures of my wife's legs and a plastic bag filled with roughly 30 fleas. The fleas are originating in the basement as proven by the fact that one can walk down to the basement with socks on and pick 5-10 fleas from the white socks. The landlord is trying to shift the blame and responsibility of eradication to me. I have heard some advice that saws the landlord, as homeowner and renter, is responsible for eradicating the problem. My apartment is uninhabitable due to these fleas. What recourse do I have.

Thanks so much for your time,
Jim
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your first recourse is filing a complaint with the local housing authority and they can cite the landlord to make him exterminate the apartment and also correct the electrical situation. If they cannot assist then your next step unfortunately is that you have to file a suit in court against the landlord for breach of the lease and seek compensation to move or an order from the court to him to make the necessary adjustments to cure the breach in the lease.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.