How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask legaleagle Your Own Question

legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Heres the story We moved out of a rental unit 72 days

Resolved Question:

Here's the story:

We moved out of a rental unit 72 days ago.

We received a notice from our former landlord telling us we owed him $2800 for carpet replacement costs and repainting.

We lived in the unit for almost 7 years, so of course we said we disagreed that the changes to the carpet and walls were the result of "damage as opposed to wear and tear". We replied to his notice within 7 days.

He sent us another letter dated 53 days after we moved out saying the changes could not even remotely be considered "wear and tear". We feel he is insane in expecting us to pay for his tenant turnover costs and we would rather go to court than pay him. Under Michigan law, this timeline must be followed: he sends us a notice or returns our SD within 30 days, we reply within 7 days of receiving the notice, he must start court action within 45 days of our move out. MY QUESTION IS: If he did not file a suit within the 45 days, what happens to the amount that he claims we owe him? Is it still considered our debt or does it just completely disappear because he did not follow the timeline? Here is a summary of the Security Deposit Law of Michigan:
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.
He can not collect the amount he claims you owe since he did not file suit in a timely manner. If he has not returned your deposit, you can sue him for failing to do so since he did not pursue his allegation of amounts you owed to him.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, if he did not file the suit, legally we do not have a debt? His letter contains threats of reporting to the credit bureau... can he do this if a judge has not ruled that we owe him money?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.

Correct, legally you have no debt and you have the right to sue him.

He can report to the credit bureau but you can dispute that with your evidence of his failure to follow the law and they will remove it from your report.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Last Qs: (1) What "evidence" would this be? Do I need to get a document from somewhere? (2) What actions can I take against him should he report it to the CB knowing that he had not been awarded a judgment?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.

1. The letter from him with the damages and copy of the letter you sent to dispute the damages, and if the clerk of the court will sign a document stating that there is no case pending against you.

2. You can sue him for damages if you incur any cost for having to dispute the CB report.

legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience: Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
legaleagle and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.