Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience
12176198

I was given a ticket for speeding going up a mountain pass.

I was given a ticket for speeding going up a mountain pass. The Officer that issued the citation was traveling in his vehicle going the opposite direction. The officer said he clocked me doing 20 over the posted speed limit with his radar gun. I am slightly familier
with how the radar gun works and I am under the impression that you can not get an accurate reading if the vehicle using the radar is moving in the opposite direction.
Hello.

Most radar guns are very accurate and use Doppler radar technology in order to ensure accuracy from any angle, including that which is coming from the opposite direction. Someone who is charged with speeding can certainly ask for a trial and cross examine the officer on what kind of radar gun they have (ie what technology it uses), how accurate it is, and whether it was calibrated recently. But most jurisdictions have adopted technologically advanced radars (or lasers) that will withstand this line of questioning.