Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

If someone defames me or spreads false information about me,

If someone defames me or spreads false information about me, my company or my products, in an attempt to harass me and/or interfere with my business and/or cost me business, and I sue for damages, does the losing party have to pay for court costs and my attorney fees?
Hello and thank you for your question.

Slander requires showing false statements made to another causing harm to reputation and financially. It is an expensive and time consuming lawsuit. Consider also if the defendant has any money to collect assuming you succeed and obtain a judgment. Often a lawyer letter leads to the slander to stop and is more cost effective. To find local counsel to represent you, see

If a lawsuit is filed and one prevails, the court can also award court costs. Legal fees are usually not awarded.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please remember that I only get credit when you ACCEPT an answer so please click the "ACCEPT" icon. (even if you put a deposit or have a subscription) "BONUSES" and "POSITIVE FEEDBACK" are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. After you accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. If I can clarify anything at anytime, please press REPLY.

Please remember that the law does not always support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question. Although rare, there may be a brief delay between answers because I may be researching something for you or helping another customer. If you need me in the future, you can reach me anytime through my profile: or beginning your question "FOR INFOLAWYER"