Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

I would like my wifes sister to be my daughters legal guardian

I would like my wifes sister to be my daughters legal guardian to enroll her in school. We all agree, but what do we need to provide to the school if anything?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 years ago.
Os this a permanent situation or just temporary? What are the circumstances driving this decision?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is temporary only to assist wiht the shcool registration as my wife is in residency and I am travelling on business.

How long will this arrangement last? Will pay for the child's schooling as an out of area resident? Do you live in the same school district where your sister in law lives?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is only for a few hours while she registers the child and only as the principal is trying to make this an issue. It is a lottery school. My sister-in-law lives in the same house as us and helps to take care fo the kids etc.

You do not need a legal guardian for such a temporary situation. You need a parental consent form to allow your sister in law to handle what needs to be handled for the child. Here is a post that explains when you need a legal guardian appointed for a child.

http://schools.clayton.k12.ga.us/Portals/39/docs/CustodyMinorChildrenSchoolAttendance.pdf

If there is something you sister in law needs to sign on your behalf to enroll your daughter you can give her a power of attorney. If the principal persists in his or her ridiculous position, contact the district superintendent or your local council person.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can we provide parental consent in an email or a signed letter? We dont have a form and the school wont provide one. The email application is asking for a legal document?

Below is a link to create a power of attorney. This power of attorney will authorize your sister in law to execute any documents necessary to enroll your child in school, including any applicable parental consent forms. You fill out the form and you will put in the power an authorization to execute any document necessary to enroll your daughter in school including parental consent forms. This power of attorney gets signed in front of a notary public.

http://www.rocketlawyer.com/documents/legal-form-Georgia+Power+Of+Attorney.aspx?partner=103&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=CPC&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CLCay_Wi5qMCFQo65Qod4zHdnQ

For the few hours you are dealing with this should be sufficient for all your needs.