Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I signed the lease on 05/24/2010 for 14 months. When I moved-in

I signed the lease on 05/24/2010 for 14 months. When I moved-in apartment was not ready - power in apartment was off because previous renter did not pay the bills. Thus, when I moved in I could not inspect condition of all electric devices are. On 07/25/2010 (Sunday) around 11:00 A/C started to blow just warm, but not cold air. I called numerous times to office, but they did send A/C tech on 07/27/2010 (after 49 hours). The temperature inside of apartment was around 95F, humidity closely to 70%. On 08/09/2010 A/C stopped working again. They fix in next day's afternoon. Laundry machines and dryers are not working (we have six, as usually works just one or two). Elevators are old and defective. As usually, just one elevator is working. Sometimes they are not working at all, so I need to use emergency exit. Mailbox is broken. Parking is bad, after 7PM is almost impossible to find place to park. One side of carpet in my bedroom is constantly wet because leakage from A/C (informed office on 08/11/2010, but nobody even come and check). Dishwasher was not working, so it took 11 days to replace. I am tired from all these problems and want to move out bad without paying the penalty (two months' rent) because property maintained. I spoke with property manager, she stated that they are fixing everything (yes, they do), but problem is that I do not want to live in conditions when I don't have a day without some problems. I am paying my rent and want to live without ongoing problems.
I already tried: Contacted property management and hired Rental Protection Agency for mediation (My wish was to terminate the contract peacefully), but after three weeks of silence and ignorance they accuse me causing the false alarms by stating that they will not condone such a ridiculous behavior from side of tenants. Corporate management stands very strongly behind wall of promises and lies (that repairs had been made in a timely fashion), and when clear evidences (pictures, phone logs, detailed explanation by witnesses, etc.) proves to opposite. Today I gave 60-days lease termination notice and will need to pay $ 1706 penalty as stated in the contract. What is your suggestion? Should I pay this fee?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You can fight them based on breach of their lease because they failed to make the repairs in a timely fashion and of course they will say they were making them timely and you would also argue retaliatory eviction for filing the complaints about their defective property. You can indeed fight this and if the evidence is as you say, your chances are better than average you could win this claim and you need to consider whether or not you can find affordable legal assistance to pursue this.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Any suggestion where I can find affordable legal assistance/lawyer? Five years ago I knew website where I posted my case and after few days I got answers from local attorneys with their prices for the legal service and I hired one. Cannot find this website now ;(

You can try legalmatch or also http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com for assistance and also you can try legal aid if you cannot find an attorney you can afford at the other locations.