INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I live in Chicago. A roommate is leaving on the lease that

I live in Chicago. A roommate is leaving on the lease that expires today, 8/31/10. He is leaving some property behind, requesting to come back "next week or so" to sell it off. When can I dispose of his property?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for your question. You cannot dispose of it

INFOLAWYER :

You have to permit him to remove it

INFOLAWYER :

If he does not remove it when he claims

INFOLAWYER :

then you can give 30 day notice to remove or it will be discarded.

Customer :

So I have to allow him access to his property for 30 days? It's not considered abandoned?

INFOLAWYER :

That is right

INFOLAWYER :

and many lawyers would still encourage not discarfing

INFOLAWYER :

discarding

INFOLAWYER :

to avoid potential for a lawsuit

Customer :

But, I can insist he schedule a time convenient to me, to "show" this item to a potential buyer?

INFOLAWYER :

That is correct

INFOLAWYER :

It works on your schedule

INFOLAWYER :

you are the tenant there

Customer :

And, can I insist he return his keys to me, when he leaves today, even if it is before midnight, 9/1/10, when the new lease (on which he is not signed) takes effect?

INFOLAWYER :

When ready, kindly accept my answer

INFOLAWYER :

Once he departs without intent to return keys need to be surrendered

Customer :

I certainly intend to. This was my remaining question.

INFOLAWYER :

He cannot retain into the new tenancy/lease

Customer :

And lastly, this advice you provide is in line with Chicago, IL law?

INFOLAWYER :

That is correct

Customer :

Thank you. I truly appreciate your prompt, concise answers.

INFOLAWYER :

My pleasure

INFOLAWYER :

Good luck!!!

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please remember that I only get credit when you ACCEPT an answer so please click the "ACCEPT" icon. (even if you put a deposit or have a subscription) "BONUSES" and "POSITIVE FEEDBACK" are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. After you accept, your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. If I can clarify anything at anytime, please press REPLY.