socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Is there anyway to stop repossession of business equipment

Is there anyway to stop repossession of business equipment even if it is used as collateral. I have been working with a turnaround company for 8 months and actually for 2 years with the leasing company to pay my debt. The leasing company is dragging their feet and just now I had a repossession company show up to take some of my equipment. Is there anything I can do? If my equipment gets repossessed I might have to shut my doors and 8 people will lose their jobs.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

A "chattel" repossession (personal property, equipment, etc.) must be made without causing a "breach of the peace" (meaning no threat of physical violence). Otherwise, the sheriff/police can be called, and the repo personnel arrested.

So, if you lock your doors and refuse to permit entry, then the company must generally get a court order for a writ of attachment by the sheriff, so that no breach of the peace can occur -- which takes time and costs money.

Assuming that this were to occur, you could purchase a "redelivery bond" which permits you to retain the property until the lawsuit claiming the property in default is complete -- which takes more time.

And, you could file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which would give you even more time, but could get pretty expensive. Though, it may be worth it to you to contact a business bankruptcy lawyer to see whether it's worth the cost.

That about covers it. For a bankruptcy attorney referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=MT and www.martindale.com.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know this is probably being redundant, but if I say no, you are not taking my equipment, they are forced to get a court order? At this point I just need to try and by time so I can research my options. I was also told that filing Chapter 11 is for the "big" companies. I am a small shop with 8 employees, do I not have an option? I should be able to restructure my company the same way a larger company would, right?

Not redundant at all. You're entitled to know your rights. Chapter 11 is for large organizations, primarily because the legal and administrative fees can quickly run up a $25,000 bill for the simplest case. I'm not saying that yours will absolutely be that costly, but, there is a lot of negotiating and legal pleading that goes with the Chapter 11, and it costs money.

Re your telling the repo company to get out, things must get a little more strained than that -- which is why I suggested that you may want to lock your doors to any public access, and maybe give keys to the employees, so that they can get in when required.