Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
14472836

I have missed several days of work the past six months because

I have missed several days of work the past six months because of an illness. I don't want to disclose the reason why I've missed work. I've always submitted a doctors note when I've called in sick. Human Resources is not asking my boss to find out the reason why I've been out sick so much lately. My boss has never questioned me about my absences and just accepts my doctors notes.

My question is what right to privacy do I have at work? Do I have to disclose my reasons for being sick and why I have to go to the doctor? I understand my employment is at will and they can fire me at anytime. But could I get fired for missing so many days of work because I'm sick? How can I protect myself?
How many employees work for the company ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Over 150 employees at our location.

You should speak to HR or personnel about your eligibility for protection under the Family Medical Leave Act. (FMLA) If you qualify your entitle to up to 12 weeks absence for illness. An employer may not terminate you if you are in the FMLA program. An employer cannot deny you the protection afforded by FMLA. If you are terminated you can file a claim against the employer with the Department of Labor.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So if they ask again I don't have to tell them the reason why I've been out sick? What if they ask to contact my doctor regarding my doctors note? Do I have to give them permission to contact my doctor?

In order to qualify for FMLA you will need a not from your physician indicating the reason you are out. You must ask your employer to allow you protections provided by FMLA. You are then responsible for getting the doctor's note to the employer in conformance to FMLA requirements. If you do not do this, you may forfeit any protection under the act and be terminated by your employer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

got it. Thanks for your help.