socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

How often IRS audit insolvency- we lost all our properties

How often IRS audit insolvency- we lost all our properties and filing insolvency.
I have very little documents due to moving around three times.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

I can't say how often. I can say that if you are audited, the presumption will be on you to prove the insolvency.

This shouldn't be very difficult. You know how much money you have in various bank and investment accounts and you can get statements for those accounts for the month in which each property was foreclosed. You can get a real estate broker price opinion of each property for the date of foreclosure, and you know what your debt cancellation was from the 1099-C. Add up your account balances from the statements, add the price opinions of the property and subtract the 1099-C amount. If the number is $0.00 or less, you're insolvent.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.