SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

I received a letter from Neal C Tenen Law Corp. demanding I

I received a letter from Neal C Tenen Law Corp. demanding I pay in the amount of $3000 for a signed admission from my former employer, Sears Holding. I admitted, not truthfully, to allowing the company to lose money due to warranty claims and discounts. The warranty claims were on automotive batteries and the discounts applied to oil changes over a period of 3 years since I was hired in. In my defense, I followed warranty procedures at that time, which had changed a little less than a year ago. I also gave discounts to customers, with my manager/district manager's approval. I attempted to tell the loss prevention officers of these specials and warranty policy but they kept interrupting me so I was never able to complete my sentence. They had based their opinion on the "main" store's policy not the automotive policy for warranties since we were considered a separate store. At the end of the interrogation, they said if I admitted guilt and signed the paper I could possibly save my job and return to work. They had fired me right after I signed the paper. That was on 4/5/10 and now I receive this letter from Neal C Tenen dated 8/26/10. What would be the best possible way of handling this, also mind you, I have been jobless since 4/5/10 and I had returned to school to attempt to get my associates degree.
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

SoloLawyer :

What exactly is your question?

Customer :

My question is what should I do about this letter.

SoloLawyer :

Do you owe the money?

Customer :

According to the letter I do, but I have not stolen/taken anything that belongs to them.

Customer :

them as in Sears Holding, the automotive center.

SoloLawyer :

Yes. However, you signed an agreement stating you owe the money, right?

Customer :

but as far as physical money, I don't owe them anything.

Customer :

I signed a letter admitting guilt that I cost the company money

Customer :

but they were initially trying to get me to say I stole money from the cash register

Customer :

which I completely denied ever doing so

SoloLawyer :

Yes. Does the letter simply say the things you did cost the company money? Or, does it say you went against policy?

Customer :

all it says "On 04/05/2010 you admitted to causing losses in the amount of $3000 to my client, Sears Holdings, Inc.

Customer :

Pursuant to your admission, this office has been retained by Sears Holdings, Inc. to assist them in collecting the balance

SoloLawyer :

Thank you.

Customer :

The rest of the letter is just then stating how to pay

SoloLawyer :

For now, you can simply ignore the letter if you don't believe you owe them any money.

SoloLawyer :

If they want to file against you, they will have to serve you with a complaint and a summons.

SoloLawyer :

At that point, you can file an Answer stating your defenses.

Customer :

I'm worried though, being jobless and returning to school, they may go after my parents who have been helping since my termination

SoloLawyer :

They can't go after your parents.

SoloLawyer :

Your parents do not owe them any obligation.

Customer :

will this hurt my credit ratings?

Customer :

if I choose to ignore the letters?

SoloLawyer :

Yes.

SoloLawyer :

If they get a judgment against you.

SoloLawyer :

Not by simply ignoring the leters.

SoloLawyer :

letters.

Customer :

Ok thank you so very much. You've brighten my day.

SoloLawyer :

Hope it works out!

Customer :

have a nice day

SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense