Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How can I postpone or change my court date for a civil case

Customer Question

How can I postpone or change my court date for a civil case in los angeles, ca?_
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's legal experts. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Are you the plaintiff or the defendant?If you're the plaintiff, you may simple call the court clerk and change the date, and then notify the defendant of the date and time.If you're the defendant, you must file a MOTION FOR CONTINUANCE and have a hearing prior to the date. The Court will then move the date. Valid reasons are: illness, looking for counsel, and other priority excuses. Most of the time, Judges grant every side at least one "freebie" anyways. Motion for Continuance can be found online EASILY by Google, or nolo.com, or legalzoom.com, or uslegalforms.com.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Eli

A few quick questions.

I am the defendant in the case. I received papers yesterday stating my trial date is September 30th, but I am getting back from my Honeymoon a few days before and I need time to prepare. I am being sued by a law firm on behalf of American Express credit card.

1. So, I file the papers before the trial date on 9/30/10 or do I just go to the court on 9/30 and present the motion of continuance?

2. How long do you think the Los Angeles Superior court will give me for the continuance? Is it a month? Six months?

I thank you for your help.

Jeff

Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Congrats on your marriage! What a marriage gift, right? You file a Motion for Continuance and ask the clerk for a date and time to hear it. Then notify the other party via certified mail of the motion and date/time. Then show up for the continuance hearing.The continuance will be given on the date of the continuance hearing. For how long? Usually 2-3 months, depending on the court and docket.