loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site
17370926

pa law if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them

Customer Question

pa law if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them is it a crime
Expert:  loeblaw replied 6 years ago.
Under Pennsylvania law if you shoot someone who breaks in in self defense or defense of others when you reasonably believe life is in danger it is not a crime. However if you shoot someone as they are retreating (i.e. running away) and at no risk to harm you or others, it can be charged criminally.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Clicking ACCEPT does not generate additional charges but only indicates your question was answered. We do not receive a salary; this is the only way we get paid so I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you please click ACCEPT. Additionally, note that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

Expert:  loeblaw replied 6 years ago.

PLEASE HONOR THE HONOR CODE

REMINDER: As your question has been answered, I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question. Even if you left a deposit the only way I am credited with giving you an answer is if you press ACCEPT. You should also note that statistics are kept on accepted answers and seen by adviser, if you do not accept it might affect the likelihood of getting future questions answered.