Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

My son stole my Bank of America debit card and made $600 worth

My son stole my Bank of America debit card and made $600 worth of purchases. I called the bank indicating that I did not make the purchases. I have just received an affadavit to sign. What are the likely repercussions for my 14 year old son? Additionally, he has made $1,000 worth of charges on one of my credit cards. I have not disputed these charges yet. This has been going on for at least three years; he is extremely bright. I have always covered for him and absorbed the $ loss. Now it is to a point that I don't think that I am helping him by covering for him, however, I am concerned about how charges could impact his future. Please advise-
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

your son could face criminal charges; in the worst case scenario, it would result in juvenile detention, though that is unlikely at this point.

A criminal conviction at age 14 for a non-violent offense can be sealed when the child reaches adulthood, meaning that it would not appear in a criminal background search.

I hope that this helps.