Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

when my 16 year old was in the hospital someone from our church

when my 16 year old was in the hospital someone from our church looked at the minister log in book at the hospital information desk and then went to a church meeting and told everyone who had visited her in the hospital. We only called one person from the church because my daughter did not want everyone to know she was in the hospital. Did this violate our HIPPA rights?
Chat Conversation Started
Steinlaw :

Does the person who took the log work for the hospital?

Customer:

no.. they were visiting another child and looked at the book

Steinlaw :

Unfortunately, that is a violation of your privacy but not a HIPPA violation. A HIPPA violation would require that the person who violated your rights was a medical provider. Without that, you cannot prove a violation.

Customer:

what could be done about the privacy violation?

Customer:

are ministers bound to protect peoples privacy?

Steinlaw :

You have a case for violation of your privacy rights under state law. You can still file a lawsuit. But you need to prove that you were damaged in some way. I would talk to an attorney about sending a demand letter to the responsible party.

Customer:

thank you...

Steinlaw :

Good luck!