Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My storage unit was broken into and my merchandize was stolen

My storage unit was broken into and my merchandize was stolen and i had my storage unit insured but they asked me to provide a receipt for my merchandize but i cant find the receipt for them now the insurance company declined my claim, what should i do? sue them?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's legal experts. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes, you should. How much was it worth?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it worths $3300 but my storage what only insured for $2000 and can I sue the insurance company for the $3300 and also sue the storage company itself?
You can sue the storage company if they promised via contract a certain safety or protection that failed or did not work (i.e. alarm didn't go off, etc). DO sue the insurance company, b/c they won't pay you unless you make them. You need to threaten litigation, or actually sue in small claims. Let me explain.
Lawsuits are made up of causes of action, in other words, to file suit, you need a cause of action (at least one).

You can file multiple causes of action together. All causes of action have different elements you have to satisfy. For example, “negligence” is proven if there is (1) a duty owned to Plaintiff and (2) the Defendant breached that duty.

It takes too long to explain all elements of each cause of action, but from my knowledge, you have a lawsuit for the following causes of action: negligence, breach of contract, and fraud.

Some elements of the causes of action different by state due to different evolution of local law, but they are generally nearly identical.

In the end, the small claims court Judge decides whether or not the elements for each of the causes of action were satisfied, and if so, what damages are needed to rectify the situation. Note that if you win, you may also get your legal fees and attorney fees tagged unto the award.

Know, however, that 85% of such cases are resolved with a stern demand letter from your attorney and perhaps a draft petition included with it. That usually scared them to make a deal to avoid litigation. When you hire an attorney, try to hire them on a contingency basis, i.e. they don't get paid unless you do (usually about 33%, or 40% if reward is from trial). I can help you find an attorney in your area who specializes in these kinds of matters if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter! I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info. I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to be paid for my work. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok should i file a lawsuit first before i get a lawyer and will they asked me at the courthouse how much am suing them for or i dont have to fill anything asking me about that? My zipcode is 30349 college park georgia so you can help me search for an expert lawyer in my area. Thank you
You can file one with or w/o an attorney. I'd like to refer you to the GA Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.

http://www.georgialawyerreferral.com/

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay I will call them now and before i do so can you tell me the amount that i can sue the insurance company for? I insured my storage for $2000 but my stuffs worths $3300?
You sue for the amount you were INSURED for + attorney fees + filing costs + punitive damages if the Court allows.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but i dont know how much the attorney fee is going to be and am bout to go file the lawsuit now. also I need to file the lawsuit in the city that my storage unit was at right?
You need to find an attorney who will take on contingency, i.e. if you don't win, he won't be paid. And as for jurisdiction - you can file where you live, OR where their office is, OR where the event occurred - your choice.