Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

An ex-boyfriend left personal belongings at my house. (clothes,

An ex-boyfriend left personal belongings at my house. (clothes, toiletries and few other misc. items, nothing of any "value") I waited 4 months for him to come get them and he made no effort to do so. I then disposed of them by donating to a local charity. Did I have any legal obligation to keeping them here, storing them free of charge? He, after 5 1/2 months of being gone, recently contacted me for them.
Hello JACUSTOMER,

No. As long as you gave him reasonable notice and a reasonable time period to come pick them up, you had no obligation to keep them indefinitely. And four months is certainly a long enough period of time for him to pick up his belongings.

Thomas