JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

What is the law regarding reading a spouses email The computer

What is the law regarding reading a spouse's email? The computer is a shared computer in our home. Is it legal to use screen capture software?
If the spouse did not consent to having the other one access their e-mail, there can be civil invasion of privacy claims and criminal/computer crime consequences.

As a general matter, it is not legal to use screen capture software without notice or consent.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My question is related to the specific law in Pennsylvania. Are there any specific laws related to email or chat tracing?

I cannot find the law you are referring to "not legal to use screen capture software". Where does that fall under?

These involve federal laws. You may find this publication to be informative: http://www.andrewschulman.com/Briefs/cle%20wiretap.PDF
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok. I read this, I still don't see the language that says "It is illegal to read a family memebers email on a shared home computer". What am I missing?

The e-mail itself is a wired or stored communication. If you do not have consent to view/access it, you can run afoul of those laws.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand that it is stored - locally, but I still don't see the verbiage on the law. What is the specific law?

What is the recourse for "running afoul"?

Perhaps this press release of a federal indictment will be more helpful: http://www.justice.gov/criminal/cybercrime/perezIndict.htm
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is a press release about a computer hacker that created spyware. This is not germaine to wait I am asking.

You are not answering my question. Should I just move on here?

I have been suggesting to you through direct answers and by way of example that such software used without the consent of the spouse is against federal law.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the law? Can you send a link to that?

Your last example is not applicable.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That appears to be the law on transmission not storage. Is there seperate legal code for storage?
One intercepts by gaining access to an account without consent.