Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.

I was hit by a car (as a pedestrian) in March 2010 and as a

Customer Question

I was hit by a car (as a pedestrian) in March 2010 and as a result I took 2.5 mos of disability leave from my employer while I recuperated and had surgery on my knees. I returned to work in May, and have been allowed to continue physical therapy and doctor's appointments, as long as my work gets done. I continue to be treated for accident related injuries.

My injuries are still being diagnosed however - I'm not completely recovered, even though I've returned to work. I'm being told now that I may need additional surgery as a result of the accident - a laminectomy of the spine for a pinched nerve. I think I would probably need to take 3-4 weeks off work while I recuperated, possibly more...
Do I still qualify for disability benefits?
At what point (in 2010 or 2011) would I qualify for disabity benefits again?
Can my employer dismiss me if they learn that I may have chronic problems due to the accident?
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Hi jacustomer,

Not knowing all the figures taken into account, there is no way from here to know for sure if you'd be covered for your surgery. However, benefits are paid for a maximum of 26 weeks of disability during 52 consecutive weeks (WCL §205). Thus, if you are in that same year (52 weeks). Thus, it would appear that if you already took 10 weeks or so, you'd have up to 16 weeks left, assuming you used them before March 2011.

With regard to being terminated, generally you can not be be fired because you are taking your disability leave. However, you can be fired for poor performance and other reasons. You do have 12 weeks of protection under FMLA, but check to see if you used up 10+ already.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.