Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

My longtime boyfriend that has been seperated from his wife

My longtime boyfriend that has been seperated from his wife for 10 years asked her for a divorce. She said no, and that if he filed for divorce she would report that he cheated on his taxes years ago. She says she will never let him divorce her, and if he files "it will be ugly". What can he do?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Did your boyfriend "cheat" on his taxes, and if so, how long ago?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, several years ago, not sure exactly. He's been totally disabled for 8 years, needs a heart transplant.
Thank you for your patience.

Ultimately such a decision is completely up to your boyfriend. Divorces are never pretty, and usually both parties have dirt and ammunition on each other. If he wishes to get divorced, he can file and take his risks--the threat that she is making is something that she can possibly act on, but your boyfriend can warn her that if she does, he will either deny the claims or claim that she was a willful accomplice to the fraud.

In divorce there is sometimes one party that resorts to psychological games as a means to win--it still does not detract from the act itself. I suggest you speak with your boyfriend and find out if he is serious; if he is, advise him to go forward, be prepared for the worst, but get it done. Otherwise if he does not want a fight, he can keep the status quo.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 8/1/2010 at 8:08 AM EST