Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My daughter was born February 15, 1990 in Tucson, Arizona.

Customer Question

My daughter was born February 15, 1990 in Tucson, Arizona. I live in Tennessee. We were never married. I bought some bonds for my daughter's collegefund. The bonds were in my name with her as the beneficiary. In 2006, her mother asked for child support. I paid child support voluntarily. Since I was nearly broke, I cashed in the bonds to help pay support. I paid her $200 a month for 2 1/2 years. Now they want the money for the bonds and are threatening to sue me for back child support. Do they have a case?
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
Who is they here?Did you buy these voluntarily and are they designated for college only here?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
They is her mother. I used that money to help pay child support. There was no court order. It was between her mother and I. She agreed not to come after me for back support if I paid her $200 a month. It was for about 2/12 years.

The bonds I think were Series EE bonds. I believe they were in my name. There was no specific designation for college.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
So argue that you paid support here and that these were your bonds since they were in your name and legally you could use them to pay child support here.