Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

We were contracted to construct a screened porch for a customer.

We were contracted to construct a screened porch for a customer. We are at the completion and "punchlist" phase of the project. By all accounts, the project is done. It is at this point that it is discovered that the customer is so disappointed with the project that they are contemplating firing us and finishing the project with another contractor. It is a matter of opinion, but, this exact screened porch has been constructed with atleast 6 other customers. All were very happy with the final product. We are due a final draw and it is in jeopardy of non reciept on our end. A contract was signed with the verbiage disclosing if monies not recieved than were are entitled to charge the customer for any legal fees acquired during the collection process. We have discussed our willingness to entertain any remedies that the customer requests, but, may be in the position of not being able to meet what I consider unrealistic expectations. My questions is, where do we stand on this matter as the contractor?

Good evening. As long as you have constructed this porch as promised, you are on solid footing. The first thing you can do is to put a mechanic's lien on the property to secure any amount not paid you. Then, if you and the customer cannot settle this between the two of you, you will need to file a claim against them...at your hearing, fortunately for you, you will get a fair and impartial consideration of your case by a judge or a jury versus the unilateral biased opinion of the customer. Given that, you should do fine.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.