How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 54523
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two people living in my house with me for a little over

This answer was rated:

I have two people living in my house with me for a little over a year they have no rental agreement ,I want them to leave .
I was planing on handing them each a 60 day notice to leave on the 1st, my question is how many days do they have to pay the rent so I may give them a 30 day notice instead of a 60 day? oh I am in California.
Thank you! I am very happy with this service.

Good evening. With no lease, your tenants, as you know, are deemed month to month tenants. As such and being that they have been there for one year or more, you can terminate the tenancy by giving written notice at least 60 days prior to the end of any month period.


But, with no written lease, if your tenant is one day late with rent, you can give a 3-Day Notice to Quit...meaning your tenant must pay the rent within that period or vacate the premises. Then, if your tenant still has not left, you must file a petition in small claims court for an eviction order. Once that is granted...which is a simple can have the sheriff evict. You may then file a claim for all unpaid rent, including utilities. Once you get your judgment, you can attach the tenant's assets, including bank accounts, and garnish wages, to collect that judgment. Unfortunately, under California law, if at any time before the actual eviction order is granted, the tenants pay the rent, then eviction process is stopped.


If you really want them out in 30-days rather than the required 60 day notice period, you might want to think about giving them some incentive to leave early. Otherwise, it is unlikely you can get them out before the 60 day period.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you