JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

If I co-signed for my step-daughters car & am on the registration

If I co-signed for my step-daughters car & am on the registration & she stops paying on the loan what are my legal responsibilities?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

If you co-sign for a loan, and the other person stops paying, then it's your responsibility to start making the payments. If you fail to make the payments, then you can be sued for non-payment and your credit can be damaged just as badly as your step-daughter's.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I know that - I want to know what I can do about it - can I repose the car - can I have my name taken off the loan - what are my options?

And I apologize for only the $18 - lost my job last Oct. Thank You

You can't have your name taken off the loan. However, your step-daughter can refinance the loan in her name only.

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX registration, you have right to possess the vehicle whenever you want. Have her turn over the keys to you. If she won't give you a set, go to the dealer and ask for a duplicate set to be made.

Hope this helps!