JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

i own an auto repair business in new hampshire. my neighbor

i own an auto repair business in new hampshire. my neighbor has been complaining to the city about my business (number of vehicles, traffic on the street, etc). I am cooperating with the city's requests but now the neighbor has set up a video camera and is video taping my property and me. he has also made statements to numerous people that he is going to put me out of business. Is this legal, and do i have any recourse?
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Is your business located on commercial property?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the video camera set up on his property?
Can you clarify if the video camera set up on his property?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is set up on the neighbor's property pointing at my business. He has said that he is doing this to me and others.
What's his motivation? Is he lonely? Does he have mental issues?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He appears to have nothing better to do with his time. He is a tenant not an owner where he lives and is very focused on causing me problems and watching everyone that comes and goes from my property. i am concerned with the threats he as made to pu me out of business, this is my only means of income.
I understand.

From the facts you've described, there is nothing illegal about the camera set-up operation. As you know, he's doing this to get under your skin. A way to counter-act that, and frustrate his intentions, is to go over and thank him for his free surveillance operations. Sounds crazy, I know. But think about it, people/businesses can pay big bucks to have cameras installed to have their property protected. He's providing this service to you for FREE and you can let him know that, in the event that there's any property mischief or damage, you are going send to police over to his place to view the video footage.

As for his going to the council meetings, there's really nothing that you can do about that because he has a constitutional First Amendment right of free speech and right to go to his elected officials for a redress of his grievances (no matter how fruity they may be).

Now, as for his statements to others that he wants to put you out of business. On that front, you may want to contact a local lawyer and ask the lawyer to write a little nasty-gram for you on the lawyer's letterhead basically asking him to knock off the threats or risk being sued for tortious interference of your business. It's basically letting him know that there's a line and, if he crosses it, you may go after him for lost business which you can attribute to his non-protected activities.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe in the state of nh you must post any property under surveillance, is this true. Also do you have to be a property tax payer to make complaints? He has already caused issues with some of my customers, can i file suit?
I am not aware of any requirement that property must be posted under surveillance. Cameras are so prevalent in today's society now, that's not even a realistic requirement. A person does not have to be a taxpayer to make complaints. Every American has a constitutional/First Amendment right to make complaints to their government officials.

At this juncture, from the limited facts that you've described, I do not see a legal basis to successfully file suit. However, you can certainly review specific circumstances with the local attorney.