Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I just lost my job in Naples and will need to relocate for

I just lost my job in Naples and will need to relocate for a new job. I have a lease that doewn't expire until January 31, 2011. I need to move for a new job. Will I have to pay the rent for the rest of the lease?

Good evneing. Unfortunately, being relocated does not give you a legal reason to break your lease. There is, however, some good news. The law requires the landlord to mitigate damages. Mitigation means that the landlord is required to make a reasonable effort, once you give notice, to find a new tenant. The landlord will only be entitled to recover the loss of rent during the search time for a new tenant; but, once the new tenant makes the first rent payment, you are released from any further obligation under your lease. You should also inquire as to whether your employer is willing to pay relocation expenses. Termination of your existing lease would fall within the category of relocation expenses.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You are giving me information based on FL law?
Yes, Florida law is what I based my answer upon.