Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

i just evicted my tenant in modesto ca. currently i live in

i just evicted my tenant in modesto ca. currently i live in an apartment near my work 80
miles away. i have a one year lease. how can i claim my previously rental unit as my main residence?
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Will you actually be living in the residence in Modesto?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
If you wish to claim it on your taxes as your primary residence, you would need to live there more than 6 months of the year. You could claim a partial year residence.

If the property is in foreclosure, it is too late to claim it as your primary residence even though you may now intend to live there.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Even if you have a subscription with JA, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only. It does not and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.