Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

In Connecticut- My 19 year old son got caught with an 18 pack

In Connecticut- My 19 year old son got caught with an 18 pack of unopened beer in his car, first issue. Then when the police searched they found 7 dime bags. They said they will charge him with less than 4oz, but with intent to sell. He told me his friend gave him the bags, I do believe him, because my son does not have much money and he does his friend's mom favors, cutting grass, picking up his sister etc. The cops want him to assist in a sting operation and they said they will write a letter to the prosecutor to show some leanancy. What is he in for with the alcohol and the marijuana charge. Yes, my son was caught smoking marijuan in his car outside his girlfriends house and was caught. So, this would be a second offense, I guess?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Good evening. You don't want to wait until Monday to hire an attorney....you want to engage one now! You don't want to play with the cops without some professional representation. These cops these days can be pretty ridiculous. Fortunately for you, although the cops can make the arrests which results in you having to contest these charges, the prosecutors and the courts are the ultimate arbiters.

So, here's the thing you need to do. First, engage an attorney versed in criminal law NOW...preferably one who formerly worked as a prosecutor because they typically have a good relationship with the prosecutor. The best scenario, and where he/she will be most advantageous, is for them to talk the prosecutor into dismissing the case before it even goes to trial. Second, if it does go to trial, your attorney will probably want to push for a deferred adjudication where if your son stays out of trouble for a period of time, usually 90 to 180 days, it gets dismissed; if you're lucky, you may get it dismissed by the judge.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just answer one more question, if my son did not distribute the one 'dime' bag to the person at the gas station and the police do not have a tape of the transaction and it is there word without any hard evidence, how strong is their case?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Their case is not very strong. The burden in a criminal case is "beyond a reasonable doubt" so you have a pretty good chance this won't even get to trial. The cops don't play fair...they try to intimidate and scare you...that's why it's important that you have a professional on your side that can even up the fight.