JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

I have been with Boeing for 14 years. I just had a very poor

I have been with Boeing for 14 years. I just had a very poor review - does not meet expectations. First one ever. I feel this manager is trying to fire me. What do I do?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Do you have a written employment agreement or contract with your employer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I am not a union employee. I have a job description that is all.
Are there areas of the evaluation that you believe were factually wrong?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Very few - most are not
Have you discussed your concerns with your manager and what's the likelihood of resolving them that way?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, we discussed them and no chance of resolving them with him. I was thinking of arbitration, I am very afraid of being fired, and/or not being able to be transfered within the company. I have only worked here 4 months. All other reviews have meet or exceeded expectations. He really doesn't like me.
Okay, well, what mechanism is there within the company that allows you to seek arbitration of a performance evaluation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Arbitration - would he have legal rights to fire me?
Do you have an employee handbook or manual?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will have to get a copy from work

Do you recall if it says, or have you ever been told, that you are an at-will employee or that your employment is "at will"?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no - what does that mean? Are each of these costing me more money?
No, each of these are not costing you money. I am simply seeking additional information before I offer an answer, which I shall do here. If you find the answer to be sufficient and click ACCEPT, then you will be charged $18.

I am sorry to learn of your work environment and I understand your concern.

The first thing you should do is carefully review your employee handbook/manual to see if it outlines a process for dealing with performance reviews that you take issue with. If there is a process outlined in the manual, follow it. If there is not a process outlined in the manual, make an appointment with HR, meet with one of their representatives, explain your concern, and seek their assistance in helping you develop a better relationship with your manager.

Remember, the law does not require that your manager like you.

Secondly, when you are reviewing your manual, look to see if it includes language that says that you are an at-will employee or that your employment is at-will. At will employment basically means that you can be terminated at any time and for almost any reason and you have no recourse. Separately, you want to see if your manual provides any progressive discipline structure/process.

Once you become more familiar with your company's internal personnel policies and procedures, then you'll have an idea of what your options really are. Each company is different and, truly, the devil is in the details.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!