SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

I signed up online to do a people search for a three day trial

Customer Question

I signed up online to do a people search for a three day trial for $4.95. The company is called www.intelligator.com. After signing up I then saw the reviews that this company is a scam. I payed through paypal. It has on their sight if you want to cancel you have to send them a cancellation e-mail before the three day trial is up. I have done that. The actual three day trial will be up on Tuesday. At this point what recourse do I have if I never hear from anyone etc. They don't have a phone number to contact them. Can I call my bank and ask them to block any further incoming charges from them? If it's not cancelled within the three day period they begin charging you $29.99 a month. I normally do my homework but I think I messed up on this one. Any advice would be helpful. Also, their third party company is clickbank. So I have already filed a cancellation request with them as well. They say to give them 48 hrs. to investigate etc.
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 4 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

First, the site may or may not be a scam. Oftentimes, sites that have "trial periods" get a bad rap because consumers do not read the fine print, and when there accounts start getting charged after the trial period, they think they are being stolen from, when really that fact was included in the fine print.

However, let's assume they are a scam:

If you do not hear from anyone, you go through the cancellation process, and they still charge you, you need to dispute the charges with your bank. This is going to be the easiest method, as attempting to sue the company will cost you time, worry, and a lot more money. If you dispute the charges with your bank and submit the necessary info (emails, copies of cancellation request, etc), there should be no problem with them blocking the charges in the future.

I hope this helps,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I will wait to see if they cancel or not.