NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Experience:  10 years civil litigation, no-fault, personal injury, premise liability and municipality law

I received a notice from York County Civil Court in Virginia that I am being sued by Senta

I received a notice from York County Civil Court in Virginia that I am being sued by Sentara Hospital for a $1700 bill I had no idea I owed. They never sent me a bill for that amount, the bills I received were paid. Isn't there a law which says they have to have contacted me BEFORE they take me to court for a debt? I received nothing, no bill, no letters (certified or otherwise).. nothing!

Just notice to show up in court in September..

Expert:  NewYorkLaw101 replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer
Sorry to hear about your situation
First thing is you want to contact Sentara Hospital on Monday to inquire as to the lawsuit and the alleged amount that you owe - if you realize that it was an oversight you an then attempt to work a settlement - if not and you feel that you do not owe this money you will want to contact a local attorney to submit an answer in order to protect your interest.
Hope this helps
Please remember to press ACCEPT