JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

My mom recently passed away. She was on medicaid in the state

My mom recently passed away. She was on medicaid in the state of n.c. My mom received personal care and cap services in her home, my mom's home was still in her name. My sister received a letter from the medicaid office stating my mom owes the state of n.c. $35,000 for the care she received under this personal care and cap in her home. I was informed that either I pay the money in six months or sell the house to pay off this bill. This is the only real asset my mom ever owned. Is there anything i can do. my mom named me as the executor of her estate.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of the loss of your mother. Your options are most likely limited to what's explained in the letter. This is called "estate recovery."

You will see it mentioned at the bottom of the web site page at this link: http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/dma/medicaid/ltc.htm#

Importantly, it is mentioned, "Under certain circumstances, estate recovery may not apply. Your local County Department of Social Services (DSS) can provide more detail information."

Come Monday morning, you may want to contact your local county department of social services to see if any of the estate recovery exceptions apply to your circumstances.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!