LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My husband owes child support for his child in Florida. The

My husband owes child support for his child in Florida. The case began in WA, then moved to MI, now it's in FL. The mother claims he is now $26k in arrears due to him being laid-off while the court amount was $755. It was later reduced to $275. I dont know all the details but I just need to know if the mother can request a lien on my house or get anything from me. My husband and I never filed taxes together and nothing has both of our names. I bought my house and the cars. Can she get anything from me?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.
No, she can not get anything from you as you are not responsible for the payment. What can happen, is that she can have his driver license suspended until he pays or if she wants to take him back to Court, he could face jail time and he would be in contempt of a Court order, which requires him to pay. It is best that the pay the amount required by the Court, to avoid any problems.