xavierjd
xavierjd, Attorney
Experience:  20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims
14261217

my traffic ticket went to a collection agency. they are asking

my traffic ticket went to a collection agency. they are asking for $800. i cannot pay that because i am an unemployed student and are on a very tight budget.what can i do? and how can i get out of this mess?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

It is true that it is way too late to appeal. And, unfortunately when a ticket doesn't get paid by the court date, late charges are added. Moreover, it is likely that your license is now suspended because of the unpaid ticket.

At this point, about the only thing that you can do is enter into a payment plan with the collection agency to pay off the ticket. And, when your budget is better, you may be able to pay off the bill early.

You really need to check with the DMV as to the status of your drivers license. If it is suspended, you will not be able to reinstate it until the ticket is paid. Also, you should check your credit report. It may show that there is an outstanding judgment against you.

So, as you can see, the sooner you pay off the ticket the better. If it is possible to borrow money to pay the ticket, you should do so. That way you can clear your license if it is suspended and make sure that your credit is cleared.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i already knew that but can i do anything other than pay for example work to pay off the ticket?
Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

You actually owe the court the debt. But, because it wasn't paid, the file was sent to the collection agency.

It will be totally within the discretion of the judge as to whether you can do community service for the amount of the debt that you owe. Call the court and ask to speak to the court administrator. The administrator will be the person with the most knowledge and experience to assist you. You can ask if it is possible to do community service, and if so, how do you go about asking the judge to do so. You may have to file a written motion requesting community service in lieu of fines and costs, or it may be able to be done administratively. But, remember, the court DOES NOT have to allow you to do community service. It can demand payment. If so, you need to work out a payment plan with the collection agency.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am currently not able to pay the amunt that the court is the collection agency is requesting and since i do not have any income, how can i pay for it if they do not let me do community service? what are the conseqences of not paying this ticket? what can they do? worst case scenario.

Expert:  xavierjd replied 4 years ago.

In the VERY worst case scenario, the court could issue a warrant for your arrest. You could be held in contempt of court for failing to abide by the court's order to pay the ticket. You could do jail time if you are held in contempt and can't pay the ticket.

That's why you really need to contact the court where you received the ticket and talk to the court administrator and ask if there is any possible way that you can do community service. If so, you need to do whatever the court administrator says that you need to do.

If they won't let you do community service, the default judgment will remain in place. If you ever have a bank account or job, your account or wages could be garnished. Also, your drivers license will remain suspended until the ticket is paid. If you get pulled over, and there is warrant, you will be arrested. Your bond will probably be the amount of the ticket. Also, you may receive a ticket for driving on a suspended license. That's a misdemeanor and is punishable by fines/costs, jail time and further license sanctions. So, PLEASE, try and take care of the ticket. Call the court ASAP to try to avoid any further issues.

xavierjd, Attorney
Experience: 20+ yrs in criminal, landlord/tenant, family, & small claims