Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I took my car to get an oil change at a Tires Plus franchise

I took my car to get an oil change at a Tires Plus franchise in Miami, FL and they put a hole in my oil filter which caused all the oil to leak out and ruin my engine. I had to get a whole new engine installed, which cost me around $2000. I am trying to get them to reimburse me, but so far all attempts have failed. I want to take them to Small Claims Court to secure the money but I have no idea how to do this. Do I need a lawyer? And if so, what field of law would this fall into?

You can do this alone in small claims court. Here is a link to the Miami-Dade Court Clerk's Office that tells you what to do to file a claim:

Your suit would be for breach of contract and property damage. The shop's failure to do what it promised in the breach of contract, and this breach caused you to suffer property damage to your car.

You'll need proof of what costs you incurred because of their actions.