Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am trying to make matters easier for my two sons. My exhusband

I am trying to make matters easier for my two sons. My exhusband (Steven L. McDonald)died July 1 at a Vero Beach hospital. He was living with a woman but not married. She refuses to release any personal possessions, papers, etc. What do my sons need to do towards any legal matters for the state of Florida? To our knowledge, he had no monetary assets except life insurance and his pension. We live in West Virginia. Do we have to come to Florida? Thank you,

Beverly McDonald
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

If he was a resident of Florida, your son will have to file a petition to probate his estate there. As part of opening the estate, he can apply to be appointed as the personal representative of the estate.

Once he is given this court-ordered title, your son can collect your father's property - including whatever is at his house - life insurance money, etc.

The first thing you should do is contact an estate attorney in the county of his residence for help with getting this process started.