How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31658
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Morning I was told by the Escambia County Sheriff 07-05-10

This answer was rated:

I was told by the Escambia County Sheriff 07-05-10 that in order to keep my 17-1/2 year old adopted son from getting into my home, and to never come back to my home I would have to emancipate him.
He graduated 06-03-2010 he lives with his friend.
What steps do I need to do to stop him from entering my home.
The Deputy let it be known in front of my son that if I don't let him in when he wants in that he could break a window kick a door in and nothing could be done about it.

Danny Sellers [email protected]
Danny Sellers

He'll be an adult under Florida law at age 18. Once he's 18, you can order him out and he has no legal right to enter the home without your permission, and if he does, you can file trespassing charges.


Thus, filing a petition for emancipation may not do you much good here as it would likely take 3-5 months to get a court order from the judge. By then, he'll be 18 anyway. Here's a link that discusses Florida emancipation law:


There are no free, state-issued forms out there. You can find forms online (for a price: or hire an attorney to file this for you.

Roger and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you