JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.

What does USM HOLD (u) mean on someones jail booking report Could

What does USM HOLD (u) mean on someone's jail booking report?
Could it be US Marshalls? And what does that mean?
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

1. What is the person in jail for now?

2. Are they awaiting trial or have they already been sentenced on the offense?

3. If they are still awaiting trial, has a bond been set?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The peron was arrested Saturday evening.

The only thing the public access says is USM (u). no trail date, no sentencing, and no bond is set. There is no other numbers assgned to the case other than the ID given when entered into the system. I tried to get more info and was told it was something about a robbery. I am 99%.9 sure that he has not committed any robberies in at least 15 years. I thought that for robbieries after 7 yrs it can no longer be tried, there were no deaths.

Strange thing is that he had been pulled over before for driving his motorcycle right after the plate was stolen. Just a warning. Nothing else. Plus he has had 3 jobs now that do state fingerprint clearance..why now of all times?

Thank you. The facts that you describe suggest that there is a federal warrant out for his arrest and he is being held on that warrant and is awaiting pick up by the U.S. Marshal's Office.

As for being pulled over on his motorcycle and not being picked up, you can't read anything into that It is most likely that he wasn't run in the system either because the officer didn't do it or the national database was down at the time for system maintenance.

As for the state background checks, again, if they just restricted it to a check of state crimes/holds, there would not be a hit.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!