Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

There is a fire hydrant in my front yard and i have been parking

There is a fire hydrant in my front yard and i have been parking in the same spot for 6 years. Today i recieved a parking ticket for the first time for being within 15 ft of a hydrant. what are my options.
Chat Conversation Started
Lucy, Esq. :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Lucy, Esq. :

Unfortunately, it is illegal to park within fifteen feet of the hydrant. The fact that you were never ticketed before does not prohibit them from ticketing you now.

Lucy, Esq. :

I know that it's really unusual for them not to ticket you for that long, but they're still allowed to do it. There isn't any sort of statute of limitations or anything like that.

Customer:

Even though the hydrant is in my front yard, and the curb is not painted red, and there are no signs posted in our neighborhood?

Lucy, Esq. :

The hydrant isn't on the sidewalk? What color is it?

Customer:

No the hydrant is in my yard. It is yellow with a red tip,( the top 2 to3 inches are red).

Customer:

I have to weed wack around it

Lucy, Esq. :

Odd. That's something we don't see here. But, we have small yards.

Lucy, Esq. :

I'm looking at Colorado Revised Statutes, 42-4-1204, and all it says is that you can't park within fifteen feet of a fire hydrant. It doesn't mention signs, curb colors, or anything else. Let me see if there's something else that applies.

Customer:

Our yards aren't that big. Its a residential neighborhood. cookie cutter houses and all

Customer:

k thanks

Lucy, Esq. :

No. I'm sorry - there is one law that you can't park where there is a hydrant, and another that you can't park where signs prohibit it, but they don't need signs or a specific curb color where there is a hydrant.

Customer:

That stinks. I guess i will have to get permission to park in front of a neighbors house. If i park on the other side of the drive way then i will block the mail box and get notices from the post office. Its happened

Lucy, Esq. :

That's frustrating. Your neighbors can't actually stop you from parking on the street in front of their house, if it comes to that, but I appreciate that you want to get their permission first.

Customer:

Common courtesy. Its lacking in this world. I even contacted the fire department when we moved in to make sure i could park there. the man we spoke with said it wasnt a big deal but if there was a fire they would break the window on the vehicle if they had to get a hose to the hydrant

Lucy, Esq. :

Common courtesy is a wonderful thing, when you can find it.

Lucy, Esq. :

It sounds like there was a change, either at the fire department or in parking enforcement, as to who makes these decisions.

Lucy, Esq. :

Or, it could be that the state needs the money.

Customer:

True dat.

Customer:

speaking of common courtesy, I should let you go so you can try not to work so hard and enjoy your fourth of July. Have a good day. and thank you.

Lucy, Esq. :

You're welcome. You, too. Happy Fourth. :)