Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have about $50,000 of medical debt in collections from the

I have about $50,000 of medical debt in collections from the Medical University of SC, with two separate collection agencies but I moved to FL a month ago. I haven't paid on them in a couple of years, and I plan to get married next Nov. Will these accounts eventually go away by the SC or FL statute of limitations, and will my future spouse's credit be affected?

If the hospital is a state/county/city owned hospital, statutes of limitation do not run against the debt - a government hospital is a subdivision of the government and therefore immune from a statute of limitation.

The only way to get rid of this debt is to pay it off or file bankruptcy to get rid of it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Will my fiance's credit be impacted by this once we are married even if the debt was acquired in Jan 2006?
No. This is a debt incurred before the marriage. Also, SC and FL are not community property states, so he would not be liable for the debt.