Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Someone sold me a car. I have the title and ins and it is regetered

Someone sold me a car. I have the title and ins and it is regetered in my name. and have had it for several months we have a offical bill of sale. We have an unoffical payment plan were I was to pay them about 900$. They are having problems with how i am paying and now there taking the car back and said they would call the cops if i did not give the car back. is this even possible since i own the title and its regestered to me and it is in my name?XXX@XXXXXX.XXX is my email
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

By "having problems with payment", does that mean that they were not receiving your payments, or that you stopped paying them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the agreement we had between us was "when i had some extra cash" ... i have it now but she did not like how i was giving it to her.. i was giving it to her boyfriend through work cause i work with him.. there not on bad terms or nothing.. they live together... they orginally said it was ok.... this is NOT a legal agreement in ANYYYY way.
Ok, so did they inform you that they preferred that you provide them the money in a different way? If so, why did you not conform to their request?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no we were given an unlimited amount of time to pay it... every few months.. its been just over that... now we have it and were gonna do it this way and she starts like flipping out on me and saying im gonna call the cops if i dont bring it back... am i in danger in any way?.. she wanted to set up a lunch so we could talk about it... but the ORGINAL idea was paying matt through work would be ok... but when i said i did not want to have lunch and i was gonna pay matt through work.. shes fliping out
Set up a lunch meeting with her and put the terms in writing, whether you have to pay via the BF or via mail. Set up a schedule also, so that there is no miscommunication later, or no party later "flips out" or tries to get out of the agreement.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 7:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Close.. but i do not want to set up a lunch and i do NOT want to put anything in writing. legaly i own the car... and i dont mind paying them. but im not gonna be at their every whim ..... i want to know if she can call the cops or sue me ?
Then you are asking for legal action.

If they can prove that you owe money on the car, then they can take you to court and demand that either that you pay via the courts OR return the vehicle back. So yes, she can file suit against you. As for the police, that she cannot do as the vehicle is legally titled over to you.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 7:29 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what would you reccommend me doing. setting up a lunch and setting up some sorta payment via paper?
Please understand that I am not your attorney and I cannot made decisions for you.

However it may be wise to get the terms in writing so that both sides are satisfied, and know exactly what is expected from both parties. Having a mutually agreed upon payment amount and means of payment will make both parties have less disagreements about this situation AND it will also give both parties a measure of safety--you can be sued by her for non-payment, and you can sue her for her own breach of contract if she refuses to take your money if you provide it to her as agreed.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 7:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I own the title its notorized and its regestered in my name we had a side NONlegal agreement to pay on it but she doesnt like how its going down and now wants the car back... is there ANY way she can do this
I see that you stated that my answer was "inaccurate". While I understand your frustration, wishing away her rights to sue you for the money that you still owe her does not negate her ability to do exactly that. So to answer your question, yes, she can do that. Whether she will win is a different issue, but she does have the ability to sue.

Good luck and kindly press the green "accept" button so I can be compensated for my assistance. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.