Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer and legal specialist.

My son got fired from his job as a jailer. He dated an immate

My son got fired from his job as a jailer. He dated an immate after she was released from jail. He was fined $3,000 and told not to contact her. He had bought her a cell phone and allowed her to keep her after they broke up. He was fired when she was arrested with his cell phone. He did nothing wrong while on the job. Can an employer tell you who you can date? Is that legal?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
In terms of an employer being able to tell you who you can date, they generally don't have full reign, but this is a different circumstance.

The reason they set these rules is to protect both inmates and jailers. The fact that this occurred off the job is not really relevant, provided that there is a policy in place disallowing the contact....which there was if they were allowed to fine him and warn him about future contact.