Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

I have a felony on my record from3/5/2002, its theft/party

Customer Question

I have a felony on my record from3/5/2002, its theft/party to a crime and I was given 3 years probation with some restitution so was the other individual involved. My thing I need this not removed but hidden becaue I want another job and I am in school(University of Phoenix) getting my Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology and I have already obtained my Associates Degree in Information Technology/networking. I am scared to aply for jobs without having this hidden so to say to get a better job. I am now a Material handler at a Bindery for the last 6.5 years and I have high hopes of a better job for myself and my family..Please help me through this situation. My name isXXXXX and I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Hello there:

have you considered expungement? It will not conceal your record for all purposes, but it will conceal it for most background checks that are not security or law enforcement in nature.

I should also point out that about 1/3 of the general population has at least a misdemeanor on their record; when I worked at the District Attorney's office we even had people on our staff with criminal backgrounds. A theft from 2002 with no jail time is getting pretty stale... even if it remained on your record, it probably will not hold you back as much as you think.

I hope that this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Who do I go through for expungement from, that would be a wonderful start for me because I am miserable
How old were you when the crime was committed? I realize that you were not under 18.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was in my 30's I am noe 43 years old
Hello again:

that is going to be tough, then. For some reason I was thinking that you were over 18 but close to 18; the law changes once you are over 25.

There are sometimes other options that are case specific, such as having the the severity of the conviction reduced to a misdemeanor (which opens the door a bit wider) or even petitioning for a pardon, but that is beyond the scope of what I can do for you here.

Again, I would in the meantime encourage you that an 8-year old theft crime with no jail time, by itself, does not have to set your life too far off course. The job market is tough right now for everyone, but there is value in an employee who has turned their life around compared to someone who has never had to overcome those types of obstacles. Don't sell yourself short.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.