Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

We are a small construction company working for a large corporation

We are a small construction company working for a large corporation 'rehab-ing' residential structures. Their terms are net 45 from completion approval. We are not getting paid on time. some payments are past 60 days from these terms.

We have submitted our 'invoicing packets' and received email approval and 'approximate payout dates.' We agree to these dates, but the checks are not being sent on those dates.

Currently we have checks past due that were due on June 11, 18, 23, and 28. There is another due on july 9.

We are not struggling with these large amounts outstanding and our sub help is just livid.

How do we get our invoices paid?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

What you may do is possibly place a lien on the residential structures so as to make sure that you will be paid, either by the corporation, or by the owner of the structure. Your other option is to stop work, file suit, and sue for damages and invoices. This will get you paid, but that, however, will probably cost you the contract. Otherwise you have no additional options but to wait.

I am sorry.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 4:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand these legal avenues. May I ask further:

=How do I motivate this corporation without losing our account?

=How do I handle this matter positively and yet successfully without damaging our business relationship?

=Is there any way to get them to feel the need to compensate for the good work they asked of us?

Thank you for your follow-up. I will do my best to assist further.

Tough question, and more of a business question than a legal one. Consider getting a meeting with the owner or the manager and offer a future discount on invoices if paid on time (make sure to later increase your rates to compensate for the short-term profit loss).

Just that, point out the past and your affordable, reliable, and successful assistance, and point out that in the future if you do not get payments up front, you will be forced to charge up-front for work that you now perform as a courtesy and based on past positive relationships.

Honestly, no. That is purely at their discretion--but what you can do is provide them with competing company rates and show just how valuable you are to the organization.

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 7/1/2010 at 4:54 AM EST