Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My neighbor owns several Elm trees, approx 45 ft high. 60

Customer Question

My neighbor owns several Elm trees, approx 45 ft high. 60 to 70% of the weight of the trees are hanging over on to my property covering about 20 ft of the roof. One limb has already fallen missing my house by inches. It weighed several hundred pounds. These trees have not been maintained for many years and are a hazard. What can I do about it? My property is located in Auburn, ( Placer County), California. Please advise me of my rights as a property owner.
Thank you.

Jack W. Cole [email protected]
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Your neighbor is not correct. He would only not be responsible if the tree was properly maintained. If the tree is not properly maintained, then if it falls and damages your property, the neighbor is responsible. In the meantime, you are entitled to cut the limbs that encroach upon your property. You should have a tree expert do this for you to minimize any damaging effects upon the tree.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.